Microsoft edge can’t be opened using the built in administrator account
After having Windows 10 for a few days, I ran into yet another issue with Microsoft Edge, which didn’t respond and gave me a peculiar error: “Microsoft Edge can’t be opened using the built in administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again”. I have never seen this problem neither on Win XP or Windows 7 and I hope that Microsoft developers will come up with some kind of solution. It’s interesting that another identical PC didn’t give me any trouble of this kind; so anyway, here are the steps to have your MS Edge running, if you’re still struggling.
Steps for Windows 10 professional
1. Type “secpol.msc” in Windows search field. Hit “enter” on your keyboard.
2. Click on a little arrow near “Local Policies”, it will expand. Then click on “Security options”. Use the slider to go all the way down the policies’ list. Click on a policy that’s named “User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the built-in Administrator account”.
3. Set the policy to “Enabled”. This way the built-in administrator account will use the admin approval mode. Click “Apply” and “OK”.
That’s it; you should be able to run Microsoft Edge without any trouble. If you have Windows 10 Home edition, you will need to apply a different set of steps, read below…
Steps for Windows 10 Home (they will be different)
1. Type regedit in your Windows search field. Hit “Enter”
2. Navigate to the registry key:
3. In the “System” key create a DWORD value without quotes “FilterAdministratorToken” (if it doesn’t already exist) and set the Hexadecimal value to “1”.
4. Next, navigate to the nearby registry key (below “system”, where you already had been): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\UIPI\
5. Double click on the “Default” string key and change its value data to “0x00000001(1)”
6. Now type “UAC” (which means user account control settings) in Windows search field and hit “Enter”
7. Make sure that user account settings bar is set to the second position from top (Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)).
8. Restart your computer and open Microsoft Edge. It should work now.